Draught beer, served by the glass, began to be sold at the Portugália brewery, with its own production under the “Imperial” brand. This “imperial” drink became so popular that the name was adopted in Lisbon and most of the country, to this day, as a generic name for any draft beer served by the glass. Another “item” from the Portugália brand is the famous steak with a special beer-based sauce, the secret of which remains intact. Known for its snacks and seafood dishes, it has now diversified its offer with flavors and prices for all classes of customers.
The Fábrica de Cerveja Leão”, founded in 1878 and the “Companhia Portuguesa de Cervejas”, from 1903 gave rise to the “Sociedade Portugueza Germania, Lda. - Fabrica de Cerveja”. With the beginning of the Great War in 1914, and to avoid the idea of German support, Fábrica de Cerveja Germânia would change its name to Fábrica de Cerveja Portugália, Lda., from 1916 onwards. Cervejaria Portugália, adjacent to Fábrica Portugália, now extinct, opened its doors on June 10, 1925. The current building is not the original. At the end of the 40s, the Brewery saw its facilities rebuilt from scratch, externally in the purest Estado Novo style, with an interior inspired by the old Bavarian breweries. Between 1980 and 1981, with a project designed by Architect José Cramacho, the billiards room on the 1st floor was transformed into a dining room, with a corresponding change in the access staircase.